Product: Roster Server
Audience: ClassLink Administrator
In order for the CSV files from your SIS to be imported into the Roster Server, you must follow simple steps that are required to set up the public key authentication (for SSH). Below is an overview of the process.
- The key pair is created (typically by the district) and the public key is provided to ClassLink. This can be done with a tool called PuTTYgen.
- The private key stays with the user, while the public key is sent to the server.
- The server stores the public key (and "marks" it as authorized).
- The server will now allow access to anyone who can prove they have the corresponding private key.
- The Public Key can be viewed as a username and the private key can be viewed as a password. No matter who has access to your public key(username), they can not access your account without your private key(password).
Generating Public and Private Keys
In order to initiate the secure file transfer of your CSV files, you will first need to generate a public key and a private key using PuTTYgen, following the below steps.
1) Download and open PuTTYgen.
2) Click Generate.
3) Move the cursor in the blank area provided.
4) Copy the entire Public Key that is visible in the Box.
Paste the contents directly in an email or in notepad and save as a txt file.
5) Save Private Key
6) Provide Public Key value to ClassLink Engineer.
7) Once configured, access the server using Private Key.
SFTP OneRoster CSV Files Using WinSCP to access the server with Private Key
Below are the steps to SFTP your CSV files from your student information system to the Roster Server and how to initiate the import process.
To prepare your CSV files, please review the following:
To initiate the import process, please follow these steps:
1) Download an SFTP program like WinSCP (https://winscp.net/eng/download.php) or FileZilla (https://filezilla-project.org/download.php?type=client). (Below are the steps for usage with WinSCP).
2) Once the public key is given to ClassLink and the server is configured to accept the private key, you will be given, Hostname and Username.
Username: 2160-classlinkdemorsl-nj (example)
3) After being provided with the Hostname and Username, open WinSCP.
4) Fill Hostname and Username fields.
5) Click on Advanced.
6) Click on Authentication under SSH.
7) Click on the other options menu (3 three dots).
8) Locate the private key and click Open.
9) Click OK.
10) The Password field will be empty. Click Login.
11) You are now authenticated into the server.
12) Once connected, drop the OneRoster csv files in the DailyImport folder, as shown below.
Once the files have been uploaded via SFTP, they can be imported during a set import schedule or by manually clicking the Import Now button. To do so, follow the below instructions.
1) To initiate the import, go to IMPORT -> Import Now.
2) After your data has been imported, scroll down to view a summary report of the import under Import and click Complete for the most recent import.
3) The report will provide information on records added (in green), removed (in red), as well as deltas (the orange triangle), errors and warnings. If data has an error (for example, a user has no givenName in the CSV) then it will not be imported, and an error message describing why will be given in the summary. Data with a warning will be imported, but a warning will be given in the summary. Deltas are data that exists on the server that was changed on a subsequent import (for example, a class period was changed from one import to the next).
4) Once your data has been verified as clean by HelpDesk, set your sync schedule needs to be set by going to Settings -> General -> Daily Sync -> then enabling the Sync button and choosing a sync schedule. To do so, Thresholds must also be set.
5) To add the applications from vendors to roster, click Applications. This document will help as well.
Updated: Sept 2020