Product: Roster Server
Google Classroom integration is available for Roster Server and is set up by adding the Google Classroom app in the Applications page of Roster Server Console. To be able to find the Google Classroom app, you need to toggle the Show Development Apps as shown below.
From the Apps page, find the Google Classroom application you've just added, and click on the Google Classroom Settings
The API Key and Secret are provided by ClassLink itself. In order to obtain them, please contact email@example.com with the subject: "Roster Server - Need API Key and Secret for Google Classroom Application"
Once you have entered the proper Key and Secret, click on the Save Settings button from the bottom right corner. Now you can click the Authenticate button and log into your district's Google Admin account.
If you wish, you can change the values of specific fields by going to Field Mappings tab. These changes will only reflect inside of Google Classroom. Roster Server variables must be encapsulated by percent-signs. (%)
Now click on on the Save Mappings button, then click on Export.
To view the export log/status, click on Open SFTP Logs from the applications page.
Here you will be able to see logs of all your previous exports. To view a log with more details, click on the View button.
After the export from the previous sections is finished, head over to the Management tab where you can see all your synced classes.
If needed, you have the ability to set the status of classes in bulk. This can be done by simply filtering to the classes you need and then clicking Set Bulk Status and choose the status you need.
Clicking on one of the classes in your list, you will be able to see the students and teachers within it. Here you can also Activate/Archive the class.
If a user has any errors, you will be able to view them in the Sync Status column by hovering over ERRORS.
You might also notice two different icons in that column, one is the icon with a "+", and the other with a "-". If you see the "+" icon, this means that the user is present in your Roster Server data but not in Google's data. You can click on Add User to attempt adding that user to Google's data set.
If you see the "-" icon, this means that the user was found in Google's data set but isn't present in your Roster Server data set. You can click Remove User to attempt to remove that user from Google's data set.
As an alternative, to automatically add users found in Roster Server to Google's data and/or remove users found only in Google's data for a certain class, you can click the Sync Enrollments button.
There is also an option to run a Full Enrollments Sync from the management tab, which will sync all of your classes.
- In order to retain teacher access to student data, ClassLink will not automatically withdraw students from classes.
- ClassLink RosterServer will continue to automatically add students and teachers to their classes per SIS enrollments.
- If at any point, you want all Google Classrooms to mirror the current SIS enrollments, you may run a Full Enrollment Sync with the option “Drop Students” and “Drop Teachers” selected.
- Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or concerns.
The Logs tab is meant to show logs of previous Full Enrollment Syncs. It will also allow you to download a detailed CSV log file which shows each action taken by the Full Enrollment Sync.
1. After running a Full Enrollment Sync in the Management tab, head over to the Logs tab.
2. Here you will see logs for all you previous Full Enrollment Syncs. To download a more detailed CSV log file, click on the blue download icon located under the Actions column.
3. You can also delete a log by clicking the red X icon also located under the Actions column.
Updated: Feb 2021