Product: Roster Server
Audience: ClassLink Administrator
Google Classroom integration is available for Roster Server using the Google Classroom App for Roster Server. This app rosters your classrooms by exporting the data you have permissioned in the Roster Server and importing it into Google Classroom via their API. To begin rostering your classrooms you will need to first meet with one of our specialists. Please email email@example.com to arrange this meeting.
- Adding the App to your Roster Server
- Accessing Google Classroom Settings
- General Tab - Authenticate with the API
- General Tab - Export Schedule
- General Tab – Export Settings
- Field Mappings Tab
- Run the First Export
Adding the App to your Roster Server
Google Classroom integration is available for Roster Server and is set up by adding the Google Classroom app in the Applications page of Roster Server Console. To be able to find the Google Classroom app, you need to toggle the Show Development Apps as shown below. If the add button is greyed out, then you need to contact ClassLink’s Google Classroom team at firstname.lastname@example.org
Once the Google Classroom app is added you will need to set your permissions. Please reference these documents for further assistance with app permissions.
- Applications: Adding Applications & Modifying Permissions
- Applications: Query Based Permissions
- Applications: Advanced Permissions
Accessing Google Classroom Settings
From the Applications page, find the Google Classroom application you have just added, using the three-dots and click on the Google Classroom Settings
General Tab - Authenticate with the API
To begin exporting from the Roster Server to Google Classroom you will need to authenticate the API with the credentials that you received from completing the steps – Google Classroom API Client ID and Secret Setup. Note: For the authentication to work you will need to open the Roster Server using this URL - https://rosterconsole.classlink.com/
Once you have entered the proper Key and Secret, click on the Save Settings button from the bottom right corner. Now you can click the Authenticate button and log into your district's Google Admin account.
General Tab – Export Schedule
This is used to schedule a daily sync with Google Classroom. You can choose the time and days that you wish to sync. When you are ready to begin the daily sync then toggle the disabled switch.
General Tab – Export Settings
There are four toggles that can be adjusted based on your organizations rostering style, there is no right or wrong way.
- Archive Inactive Classes
- Disabled – Google Classes will never be automatically archived
- Enabled – Google Classes will be archived based on enrollment dates or changes to the Google Classroom app’s permissions in the Roster Server
- Classes Active on Creation
- Disabled – Class owners will see the Google Class on their dashboard, and they will need to accept it before it becomes active and usable
- Enabled – The Google Class will be active on creation
- Sync Guardians
- Disabled – Invitations will not be sent to guardians
- Enabled – Invitations will be to guardians so they can receive information about their student’s course work. Note: Please check your Roster Server to see if you have guardian information available
- Sync Owners
- Disabled – Google Class owners will not be managed during the nightly sync which would allow manual owner changes but also not reflect primary teacher changes in the Roster Server
- Enabled – Google Classes owners will synchronize to the Roster Server. This may add some additional time to the nightly sync
Field Mappings Tab
The user’s email address used by the Google Classroom app must match what is being used in the Google Classroom environment. Here you can change what location in the Roster Server the email address is located. By default, the Google Classroom app uses the user’s email address from the Roster Server but if the user’s email is in the username or metadata field then you would be able to change it in the drop down.
You also can change the title of the Google Class that will be created. By default, it will use the title field from the classes data set. Select the blue plus icon for your options.
Select ‘title’ from the right dropdown. The highlighted box is where you can build you custom Google Class title from the available Roster Server fields. Fields from the Roster Server will be encapsulated by ‘%’ signs. These changes are only reflected in Google Classroom and not by the Sanity Check or Preview Permissions in the Roster Server.
IMPORTANT: Currently the Class title is only used in the creation of the Google Class. It is important to do a small rostering test to verify that you like how the title looks as you do not have the ability to change it. The teachers do have the ability to change their Class title.
Once you are finished configuring the app click the green Save Mappings button.
Run the First Export
Now that you have completed the configuration of the Google Classroom app you can wait until the scheduled sync runs or you can click the blue Export button that is located on the bottom left corner of each tab in Google Classroom Settings.
You will be able to see the classes created in the management console once it is completed. You can learn more about this area - Ongoing Support of the Google Classroom App
*** Please note that the initial sync(s) to create classrooms and set the enrollments in them are limited to the Google API request limits, which can result in initial syncs and semester changes taking up to many hours. As such, it is recommended to set up the query at the course level and run one organization at a time, force an export to create the classrooms, and then add the next organization and repeat.